Moving house and insurance


For which wear and tear is the tenant responsible and who compensates for any damage that occurs during a move?

Wear and tear

For every item in an apartment there's a pre-established service lifetime listed in a «service life table», and with this you can estimate wear and tear. Changes in the rental property which arise during normal use are considered standard wear and tear (e.g. yellowing wallpaper, traces of wear on walls). If these fall within the scope of the service life tables, the costs are already included in the rental payments.

If there are some changes arising from improper use, they're considered excessive wear and tear. If, for example, wallpaper has been painted or scribbled on by children or the washbasin has a crack, these are considered excessive wear and tear, and the tenant is responsible for them.

For damage arising as a result of force majeure (e.g. storms, fire), the tenant cannot be held liable.

Which types of insurance for which damage?

Private liability insurance covers damage that could not have been anticipated and can be attributed to negligence such as, for instance, spots on the carpeting or scratches on parquet flooring. On the other hand, predictable damage such as wallpaper discoloured due to cigarette smoke is not covered. In the case of damage, you're well advised to contact the insurance company immediately.

The following types of insurance might come into play during a move:

Private liability insurance

Private liability insurance which comes with tenant damage coverage covers certain damage the renter might cause, which is why more and more landlords demand that it be purchased. Private liability insurance covers only damage which the insured party causes to a third party; first-party damages are excluded from insurance coverage.

Household contents insurance

With household contents insurance, your household goods are insured against fire, natural hazards, water damage and theft. This insurance is, as a rule, also in effect during a move.

Supplementary transport insurance

If the removal company can provide confirmation that transport insurance has been arranged, it's not necessary for you to take out supplementary transport insurance. It is advisable, however, to check that the contractually set limits of the insurance are adequate.

You can get more information about various types of insurance here.

Moving help

Moving help

Enjoy a more relaxed relocation. Get a free moving and cleaning quote.

Debt collection excerpt

Debt collection excerpt

Get a debt collection statement in a few days for the exclusive price of CHF 29.00.

Alternative to bank deposits

Alternative to bank deposits

Avoid initial bank deposit costs with this attractive and convenient alternative from AXA.